Okta natively does not allow you to sync users to Office 365 contacts; they either exist as users in Office 365, or they don’t exist at all.
In hybrid scenarios where you are doing a staged migration to Office 365, or where you simply manage your contacts in Okta, you may want to populate the Global Address List in Office 365 with your Okta users.
I’ve written a simple solution for this, you will require:
- Okta Admin Access (to obtain a token)
- Office 365 credentials (to write / modify Contacts)
- An Azure Subscription (for automation)
The solution will sync your users in Okta to Office 365, take note of the following: Continue reading Setting up Okta User -> Office 365 contact synchronisation
Configuring a multi forest sync solution for a single Office 365 tenant is pretty straightforward, but there are a few small tiny gotcha’s:
1. DNS resolution is critical, adding a few host file entries won’t do the trick, use a (conditional) forwarder to a DC for each forest
2. Ensure the proper firewall ports are open
3. Ensure you type your login in the netbios format and include the suffix, e.g.: LIEBEN.NU\Admin, using LIEBEN\Admin will fail
If you don’t, you’ll probably run into this error:
[ERROR] Caught exception while validating the domain credentials and retrieving domain FQDN of the specified user XXXX.XXX\Admin.
Exception Data (Raw): System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.ActiveDirectoryObjectNotFoundException: The specified domain does not exist or cannot be contacted.
at System.DirectoryServices.ActiveDirectory.Domain.GetDomain(DirectoryContext context)
at Microsoft.Online.Deployment.Framework.Providers.ActiveDirectoryProvider.ValidateUserCredentials(String domainName, String username, SecureString password, String& domainFqdn)
at Microsoft.Online.Deployment.OneADWizard.UI.WizardPages.ConfigSyncDirectoriesPageViewModel.ValidateADDirectoryConnection(DirectoryConnectionViewModel connection)